Thursday, January 5, 2012

Kvetching Rights

The SJG has had many career high points.  The first time my name ever appeared in a publication, I was so excited, I called up Mr. Ben Starr, and said, "Daddy, I've been printed!" After that, nothing has quite matched the initial buzz of recognition.  Sure, seeing my name on other things -- court orders, magazine articles, the TV screen -- made me proud. Sure, all those prestigious nominations for awards that less deserving writers won  (not that I'm bitter) made me feel good about myself, in a "who would've thunk it" kind of way.  But believe me, the excitement wears off, quickly.  The thrill is transitory, and once again, you're waiting for your agent to find you something, anything, it doesn't matter.  And yet, some things last longer than expected.  Thanks to the Internet, some honors never lose their luster.  They last for infinity and beyond.  A while back, I Googled my favorite word of all time.  You know it, say it with me now:  Kvetch.  Today, I Googled it again.  Pay attention, I'm only going to tell you this once, or twice, ten times at the most.  I Googled Kvetch and -- trumpets please -- I'd joined the Google pantheon.  Right there, under results:  "To Kvetch Or Not To Kvetch," Short Jewish Gal.  Plus!  A tiny photo of moi.  But wait there's more.  "So You Think You Can Kvetch?" Short Jewish Gal, came up next.  Plus!  A tiny photo of moi.  Can you blame me for kvelling?  I mean, come on, people!  This is an honor far greater than all those writing awards I got nominated for, only to sit there in the audience (once I even went to New York to sit there on live TV) and watch other, less-worthy people get up and say, "First, I'd like to thank..." (Not that I'm bitter.)  But Googling Kvetch and seeing my name come up?  That's the kind of heady recognition that takes on a life of its own.  You don't believe me?  Go ahead and Google Kvetch for yourself.  In the meantime, I'd like to thank the short people, the mid-sized people, the annoyingly tall people (you know who you are) for helping me get to where I am today.  I will do my best to match this level of achievement, but I can't make any promises.

3 comments:

  1. K-vetch, k-vetch, k-vetch


    (thank you Norma Rae)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kvetch as kvetch can. I know it doesn't make sense but I know you can run with it. Or kvetch about it. Kudos kween of kvetching.

    ReplyDelete