Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here's The Story

R.I.P. Sherwood Schwartz
"My Favorite Martian"
 ... of a mensch named Sherwood Schwartz who did a nice thing for another mensch named Ben Starr: "When Sherwood was preparing to write and do the pilot for Gilligan’s Island he was in charge of My Favorite Martian. He recommended me as his replacement to the producer, Jack Chertock. I was hired. I hired writers for the show and developed the stories with them. I also wrote three or four episodes myself. Years later, Sherwood asked me to submit ideas for The Brady Bunch. I wrote two shows which, please forgive me for saying so, became classics for the Brady Bunch. One is known by the Brady Bunch followers as 'Porkchopsh And Apple Saucesh.' The other episode I wrote was the show where the kids write an original song in the episode. Sherwood wrote the song. The two episodes I wrote were eventually presented on stage as part of The Real Live Brady Bunch.  Because I had plays produced on and off Broadway, Sherwood used to have me read his plays. As successful as he was, he was not reluctant to seek other’s advice. Many years ago at a crowded party I found myself near a woman and asked who she was. She was Sherwood’s wife Mildred. I later sent her a telegram (remember those?) that consisted of just her name Mildred throughout the entire telegram. To this day when Mildred and I meet, I say, Mildred, Mildred, Mildred.  Sherwood always called me Ben, Ben, Ben.” Fast forward several decades.  Sherwood Schwartz did a mitzvah for me, too.  When I wrote a CBS Schoolbreak Special called "Two Teens and A Baby," I wanted one of the characters to sing the Gilligan's Island theme song as a lullaby.  But we couldn't do it without permission.  So I called Sherwood and he gave us his blessing.  A nice man.  A good friend.  Smart, funny and wise.  

4 comments:

  1. I expected you to write about Mr. Schwartz and I thank you. He was, like the SJG and her father are, a real part of the industry. It's that part of the industry without the glam appeal, that rarely makes a blip on the public's radar, and that provides the real nuts and bolts of what we know as entertainment: the writer. What a heritage and legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including me here, Mick. I've always been a major non-player in the industry, a proud contributor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story- I figured you'd be connected. Those shows got me through my lonely latch-key afternoons as a kid. Well, until I discover sex. Thanks to Mr Schwartz and Mr. Starr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shows shaped my adolescent world. Is there anyone our age who can't sing the lyrics to Gilligan and The Brady Bunch? Great post.

    ReplyDelete