Friday, February 26, 2021

Just Say No?

When I was a newly-minted mom, I had no problem saying no when my baby boychicks pushed the boundaries of safety and my own sanity. Before they could break a body part, wound a keppy, wedge under a sofa or climb onto a glass table, I said, "No!" Added in another, "No!" Punctuated it a third time with a nice strong, "NO!" A swear word may or may not have been attached to the command, depending on the degree of danger. In this way, I pretended to be in control and mostly kept them out of harm's way. Saying no was my best defense, my intro to disciplining the wild ones. I'd like to mention here that I wasn't home, parentally speaking, that time the eldest shoved a plastic bead up his nose. In any event, I've never been shy about saying or yelling no and repeating as needed. 

Could you say no to this punim?

Until Claire. How can I say no to this angel, as she crawls around, adorably getting into all kinds of trouble? When she grabs onto the bar cart and pulls herself up, is it wrong of me to say, "I'll take a gin and tonic on the rocks"? When she cruises the TV cabinet, hoists herself up via the wobbly plant stand, and nibbles on the speakers, is it wrong of me to say, "Look what you can do!"? Isn't it my right to marvel at her growing list of abilities? To praise everything she does? It's in my job description. I did my time saying no to this, no to that, no, no, no. I'm a certified grandma now. And yet, as my stunning daughter-in-law gently reminds me, along with the marveling and the praising, I need to start saying, "No!" to the 9-month-old whirling dervish . Chomping down on the marble coffee table or licking a leaf are the kinds of baby moves that apparently require, "No!" The other day, we had a practice session. "Non!" ChloƩ said, Frenchly. "No, little angel girl!" I said. "Don't say angel girl." "Why not?" "Because you don't sound serious." "How about, 'No, little angel girl, I'm serious.'" "Just say no." "One no? Two no's?" "One or two." "What about 10?" "That's too much." What can I say? I'm still learning.

2 comments:

  1. Oh she's so gorgeous. And so lucky to have you. Everyone needs an indulgent Gramala!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, darling Kerry! It's been the blessing of the year! xo

    ReplyDelete