Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Way We Were

"Oh, Hubbell, remember that time we ate hot wings 
on the beach, and I dripped sauce all over 
my nice blouse?"

Well, it had to happen, I suppose. The Hot Wings Place on Van Nuys, the one that made me think, "Why would anyone want hot wings?" has closed. The only time I ever thought about hot wings was when I passed by the Hot Wings Place en route to Gelson’s, my personal homeland, more overpriced than ever before, and not making any apologies. How do I know the Hot Wings Place has closed? The boarded up windows were a giveaway. So many boarded up windows in my general vicinity. At this point, I feel sad when anything closes, even if I never went there. I'm feeling a little sentimental about The Way We Were, not just the movie, but P.C. (Pre-Covid.) I won't miss you, Hot Wings Place, but I liked knowing you were there. It probably didn't help that another Hot Wings Place just opened two minutes away. I won't go there either, but I'll be sad when it closes, a few months from now. Sometimes, change is a good thing. These days, I'm just looking for a little consistency, hot wings or otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. For a minute, I read your post to say that Gelson's has closed... but on a third reading, I think that a neighborhood hot wings joint closed and was boarded up. Need to confirm that your personal grocery mecca is still open to serve you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed it. God forbid should Gelson’s close! My mecca remains!

    ReplyDelete