Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Original Bathing Beauty

Gloria June Kaplan Starr

I love this photo of my sweet mom for so many reasons. I love the way she poses for the camera like a beauty queen. I love the sassy 'do topped with flowers. I love the sandals. I love the whole look. I love the face. Most of all, I love the original nose. When I used to complain about mine, she'd say I could have it fixed some day if I wanted. She'd saved and saved and paid to have hers "done" when she was 20. I don't think we ever discussed it again. She wanted me to accept myself "as is." She wanted me to look in the mirror and like the SJG I saw looking back. It was the last lesson she imparted. "Don't be too hard on yourself," she said. It took her a lifetime to figure that one out. I'm still working on it, Mom. Happy Mother's Day, wherever you are... at the Big Beauty Shop in the Sky... at dinner with Dad... playing bridge with all the friends who've joined you in the Great Beyond. Beyond what? Wouldn't we all like to know. Whatever the locale, something tells me you're not social distancing. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! store name ideas

    ReplyDelete