Thursday, October 3, 2019

You Look Familiar

At the deli counter, I notice a woman smiling at me. I smile back. This is the SJG way. I just can't help being friendly. Unless you cut me off in traffic, flip me off, steal my newspaper, my parking spot, or the last good banana. Then: not so friendly. But at this moment in time, I'm Little Miss Sunshine. I've found a pair of jeans in my closet that actually fits. A miracle. Hence, Smiley SJG. "You look so familiar," she says. I don't know about you, but I love when people say this me. Love. It. The fact that I have a doppelganger out there in the world delights and alarms me on several levels. "I do?" I say, faux-flattered, in my movie star voice. I'm always ready to sign autographs. You should know this about me. I'm armed with a pen at all times. "Are you a psych nurse?" she asks. "No," I say, "but I feel like one most of the time."

No comments:

Post a Comment