Monday, September 21, 2020

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Good

Things I'm feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good about on this Monday:

1. The Pand-Emmys, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, even if I've never seen most of the shows that swept the virtual ceremony. How many shows am I supposed to binge in one pandemic? To date, I've only seen 3.5 episodes of "Schitt$ Creek." Why only 3.5? Well, certain things in the opening episodes made me laugh and others made me gag. Your SJG has a very low tolerance for grossness. Just ask my family. They know if a puke and/or icky bathroom moment is coming up, I must be warned and protected. Often I sense something icky is coming and cover my face with a large pillow, trusting that longtime hubby or one of the mensches I birthed a while back will say, "Don't lower the pillow yet," or "It's okay to lower the pillow now." This is how we've built a strong foundation of trust in our family. These people know that trickery will lead to marital threats and disinheritance. A caveat: When I watch alone ("Schitt$ Creek") I have no one to blame but myself. And yet, so many people have ordered me to keep watching "Schitt$ Creek" that I'm proceeding, slowly, in between all the other shows I'm schlepping my way through. 

2. Virtual Rosh Hashanah was nothing short of a technological miracle. I sang at the top of lungs and no one heard me (God willing?) other than Sir Blakey. I stood when I was told to and swayed back and forth and during lulls I organized my office and no one saw me (God willing?). Close to 300 temple members joined the Zoom Service and entertained me with non-stop chat messages that kept popping up at the bottom of the screen for nearly two hours. "There's an echo." "Is anyone else hearing the echo?" "I am!" "The echo's gone!" "Shana Tova from the Plotnicks!" "Can you see me on the screen?" "Yes." "How do I take myself off?" "Why is the rabbi getting political?" "Everyone stop talking. Pretend you're in temple." "Are you kidding? Everyone talks in temple. At least here you don't have to read the comments." "How do I get rid of them?" "Click the thing in the top corner." "What thing?" And on and on. I pretty much loved it all, especially seeing the nice rabbis on the bima and hearing the Shofar and the kids blowing their ram's horns in their little backyard boxes. 

Turn, Turn, Turn

3. Claire turning over for the first time qualifies as above and beyond pretty, pretty, pretty good. These days, it's the little things that keep me going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment