Friday, June 25, 2010

Dream-Crusher

Dang!  I hate to be a dream-crusher.  Dream-crushing goes against my core belief system.  I prefer to holla and "rah rah" on behalf of my boys.  I'm more of a "go out there, baby, and kick some butt" kinda mom, even when their goals may be slightly out of reach, ridiculous, delusional.  Such sentiments as, "Like that'll ever happen," or, "Are you out of your freakin' mind?" those, I keep to myself. 

So yesterday, it pained me to have to call up the eldest and deliver disheartening news about his very first job interview, scheduled for this morning.  Here's how the tsouris began:  Around lunchtime, we found a "fantastic opportunity!" (where else?) on craigslist, under marketing, an area about which the college grad knows zilch.  He's looking for work in the environmental field, a broad spectrum of who-knows-what, but we figured, why not.  The job was entry level, no experience necessary, and promised a "fun place to work in the exciting world of sports marketing."  Even better, the office was located on our street, just the other side of Sepulveda.  How random.  How beshert

"I can bike to work," said Billy, out to save the planet one block at a time.  He posted his resume, at this stage, more of a creative writing exercise than a valuable document, and wouldn't you know, within the hour, someone called to arrange an appointment. Up went my uh-oh flag.  "That's great," I said, my tummy dancing the hora.  In celebration of his imminent hiring, off he went to "swoop" his friend and "grub" on some Henry's Tacos.  I stayed in and Googled.  Here's what I found: 

"Sports Marketing International is a scam! Their ads are up all over the internet. CareerBuilder, Monster.com, Craigslist.com. Companies like this constantly change their name to avoid being found out and to avoid prosecution... They will tell you they have "big wig" clients like the Dodgers. This is NOT marketing. It is door-to-door dishonest soliciting. Dishonest to consumers and dishonest to their employees. Please do not fall for their schemes! Sports Marketing International and the like, prey on young, naive college graduates. Sports Marketing International doesn't do a stitch of marketing consulting work for any sports teams (or any other place for that matter). This is straight up dishonest sales."

I found similar warnings all over the Internet, each one scarier than the last:  "After the interview," according to one, "they put you in a car and drive you somewhere far away.  Then, for the next seven hours, you're knocking on doors, trying to sell all kinds of promotional crap.  It's part of your training.  Get out now!" 

Billy was mid-way through a soft taco, meat and cheese only, when I tracked him down.  "Honey, you can't go on the interview."  "Why not?" "It's a scam."  I shared the sordid details.  "Those @#$%'n pricks!" he said.  "I've been scammed!"  "I'm so sorry, love."  He continued to combine expletives before returning to his taco.  By the time he got home, he was over it.  For now, he plans to stick to green opportunities.  Which reminds me, I could use some help in the garden, entry level, of course.  I wonder if he'd be interested.

2 comments:

  1. Same scenario - played out on the east coast, in Philadelphia recently. My daughter's boyfriend, a recent grad responded to a similar ad (scam)on Craig's List & unfortunately wasted an entire day. They had him leave his car behind and took him to Mt Holly, NJ where he was stuck making door to door sales calls all day. Lucky for your son that you intervened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting... this is happening all over, especially in a lousy job market.

    ReplyDelete