Saturday, July 12, 2014

Dreaming In Yiddish

Ish Kabibble:  Musician Merwyn Bogue,
who joined Kay Kyser's band in 1931.
Every now and then, not often enough, if you ask me, my dad makes a guest appearance in one of my dreams.  Last night, he was a co-conspirator in silliness.  I woke up smiling, which is always nice.  I'll take smiling over grumbling any day.  The dream went something like this:  I'm at a table full of people.  The faces are fuzzy, except the best punim of all, the one belonging to Ben Starr.  I'm regaling everyone with a story, and then I get to the punchline: "Well, you know what they say in Yiddish?  Ishkabibble, ishkabibble, oy vey, oy vey!" Translation:  "I should worry, I should worry, oh, God, oh, God." Whereupon, I start laughing, and my dad starts laughing.  It's the kind of delicious, hysterical laughter we shared regularly, a sweet reminder of all the fun we had in real time. It makes me proud to know I can still make him laugh, even if now it's only in a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment