Sunday, January 26, 2014

Go Home

In our last conversation, he said, "Go home, honey." "Can I finish my yogurt?" "Of course. But then, I want you to go home.""Okay." "Don't be mad," he said.  I was a little mad, a little hurt, until I understood his request. He was trying to protect me yet again. He felt badly that I'd seen so much, that I'd had to make so many tough decisions. He never meant to put me through all that. I kept telling him I didn't mind. He'd taken care of me my whole life, and now it was time for me to do the same for him.  And so, per his request, I kept going home... and coming back. I'd stay and stay, my brother John on one side, and me on the other, each holding his hand, telling him to let go, it was okay, we'd be alright, and then we'd both go home.  And come back the next day, and then go home.  Last Sunday, we left at 4:30 in the afternoon.  A half hour later, he left, too.  He didn't want us to see him go.  So he waited till we went home.  

5 comments:

  1. I keep crying at your lovely blogs.Bless you...am sending hugs as always. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweet friends. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carol,

    I saw your father's obituary last Thursday and wanted to express my sincerest sympathies to you and your family. I remember well meeting lovely parents at their home in Westwood. I was pretty starstruck by your dad--he was the first professional screenwriter I'd ever met, and he was a big one! Thank you for this lovely tribute--my father did exactly the same thing when it was time for him to go.

    Love, Linda Venis

    ReplyDelete