Friday, January 10, 2014

Surprise!

Now that the sons are mature young adults, capable of ordering their own alcoholic beverages and tying their own shoes, the SJG has to face reality, something I prefer to do only on a limited basis. Apparently, I need to stop with the theme birthday parties. If only I'd gotten the memo sooner, I might have avoided last night's near-fiasco.The eldest didn't respond all that well to the flurry of merchandise-related characters who greeted him at the restaurant. "Surprise!" I said. The eldest took two steps back, and attempted to vacate the premises."Where are you going?" "Not where you want me to go." "Which is?" "Back in time." "What gives you that idea?" "All the people in costumes." "What costumes?"  "The place is full of Teenage Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, too." "I'm so glad you noticed. They're all your favorites." "Not anymore." "What?" "I've moved on, Mom." "You're moving home? That's wonderful.""I'm not moving home." "Oh."  "I'm 26, not six." "In that case, should I cancel the guest appearance by Spider Man?" "Please." "What about the Pokemon cake?""Is it chocolate?" "Of course." "Keep the cake.""What about the laser tag after-party?" "I'd prefer paint ball."  "That's the after-after party." "You're the best, Mommy." "Tell me something I don't know."

No comments:

Post a Comment