Thursday, December 19, 2019

Dear Thursday

Dear Thursday,
What have you got in store for me today? Will you bring joy and rapture? Will you bring me nothing but nachas? Or are you going to stick me with nothing but nachos? FYI Thursday, I've never ordered nachos. Not once. I'm not into nachos. Chips and guacamole? Bring it. Nachos? No thankie. But nachas? Yes please. An extra order of that would be divine. What's that, Thursday? You have no idea what nachas is? And why do I keep italicizing it? Isn't it too early to get all fancy with the slanting of the letters that may give my readers vertigo? Thursday, you are wise beyond your days. I'm not a big fan of italicizing. But if I don't italize nachas, guess what happens? I get nachos. The auto correct is an autocrat. The auto correct doesn't speak Yiddish. Sorry, Thursday, I digress. You want to know what nachas is. Well, other than the thing my sweet daddy used to say his children brought him plenty of, but let's face it, he was being facetious, nachas means happy and proud, especially of someone's accomplishment. As in, "Watching you get Bar Mitzvahed, after all the threats we made, and all those Sundays we wouldn't let you out of your room until you recited your Torah portion like a mensch... after all your kvetching and ungratefulness, do you know what this party is costing us, but look, there you are on the bima, speaking Hebrew like you know what you're saying, it brings us nothing but nachas." To review, Thursday, I'm hoping for a nice helping of nachas, but I'll settle for a moment of Zen.
Thanks for your consideration!
The SJG

No comments:

Post a Comment