Friday, February 21, 2020

You're Going On A Long Journey

Take two aging Boomers, Genie and your humble blogger, add one 40-ish Gen-X'r, Katie, and the conversation at Schvitz! went something like this:
"See you guys Saturday."
"You won't see Katie."
"Why won't I see you?"
"I'm going to visit my parents."
"I wish I could visit my parents."
"Me, too."
"I like to picture my mom and dad having a bite at the deli."
"I like to picture my parents eating Chinese."
"My mom never ate Chinese. MSG gave her migraines."
"Did I ever tell you my dad died at a Chinese restaurant?"
"You never told me that. What happened?"
"Massive heart attack."
"I wonder what his fortune cookie said that day."

"At least he was doing what he loved, eating Chinese with my mom. They'd just seen a matinee."
"Oh wow, what movie?"
"I don't remember."
"What year did he die?"
"2002."
"Hang on, I'll Google... 'Black Hawk Dawn'? 'Gosford Park'?"
"Maybe 'Gosford.' "
"Great movie."
"You guys are really weird."
"It was his last movie, Katie. Ever."
"His last meal, too."
"Guess this conversation took a dark turn."
"It always does with you two."
"It's my fault. I said the thing about wishing I could visit my parents."
"And then I had to bring up my dad dying in a Chinese restaurant."
"I can think of worst places to die. CVS. I'd hate to die there."
"Or the DMV."
"That'd be awful. On that note, have fun with your parents, Katie. Do you think you'll go out to eat?"
"Probably."
"Stay away from Chinese restaurants."
"And delis."
"No one ever dies at a deli, Genie."
"How do you know that?"
"Just a hunch."

No comments:

Post a Comment