Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How To Kugel, Responsibly

Kugeling, the SJG way.  So delish, you could scream.
Why the smart rich boys who came up with Google didn’t call their fancy search engine Kugel is one of life’s mysteries. Personally, I think they made a big mistake. Sure, Google is a cute name. It’s become part of our daily lexicon. It has a nice ring to it. But Kugel is better. Kugel deserves to be a search engine and a verb, too.  For when you Kugel, you bring happiness to those around you. To Kugel is to make people smile, clap their hands and do a little hora around the dining room. To Kugel is so easy, just about anybody can do it and not mess up. I’d go so far as to say that Kugeling is practically fool-proof. I say practically because to Kugel well requires a dash of common sense. Not much, but just enough to signal the Kugeler’s brain that a dollop of discretion is necessary.

I understand, it’s tempting to over-Kugel. I’ve seen it done many a time. I’m still digesting a complicated, multi-layered Kugel from 1974. For generations, many have fought a precarious battle: how to Kugel, responsibly. It can be done, I assure you, and the SJG is here to guide you.  To Kugel wisely, you must fight the urge to open your cabinets, collect everything at eye level and dump it all into the pan. That’s just reckless and wrong.  I’m begging you to hold it right there, people, and reconsider. To Kugel isn’t all that random. To Kugel is to show some restraint.  Cherries? Pineapple? Raisins? Fruit Cocktail? Unquestionably delish, just not in the same Kugel. Trust me, I know what I’m talking about. I’m a long-time Kugeler. As the Jewish New Year kicks off this week, you may be inclined to add fruit to the mix. Okay. Fine. Far be it from me to talk you out of it. I’m not anti-fruit by any means. Just don’t go overboard, my friends.  Pick one fruit. ONE. You’ll thank me later.  Oh, and most importantly, don’t block anyone’s arteries in the process. You don’t need Uncle Seymour’s future by-pass clogging up your conscience, now do you? 

And so, as you stand before your fridge, so eager to please, you’ll see cartons aplenty; calories begging to Kugel right along with the noodles. Sour cream. Cream cheese. Cottage cheese. Milk. Eggs. Butter. What else?  Step back and ask yourself the following:  How much does my Kugel really need?  What is my goal on Rosh Hashanah Eve? To bake a Kugel heavier than a truckload of bricks? Or to cook up a slice of heaven, light enough to enjoy seconds, if not thirds?  Do I want to prevent the successful zipping up of my jeans (and those of my loved ones) the morning after? Will I Kugel like a mensch? Will I repent my Kugeling ways come Yom Kippur?  The choice, of course, is yours. To Kugel is to exercise free will. Everyone Kugels differently. It’s what makes the world go round. Here’s how I choose to Kugel. I share it with you now.  The SJG’s Kugel:

1 pound wide noodles (cooked)
7 eggs
½ cup sugar
1 pint low fat cottage cheese
3 cups reduced fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter (melted)
1 cup raisins
1 cup Corn flake crumbs
Mix together all ingredients except corn flakes. Place mixture into greased casserole. Refrigerate overnight. Next day, sprinkle with corn flake crumbs. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half.  This is how I Kugel. My question is: How do you?

9 comments:

  1. Oy vey--ours has the cream cheese (and?) sour cream and isn't there cinnamon sugar added to the cornflakes? I lovingly call it, "Cardiac Kugel".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you want to hear about my brisket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brisket? Of course. My kugel doesn't have cinnamon. I use that on my blintz casserole. But cinnamon couldn't hurt. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, my friend. This reminds me of my first kugel experience - the Planzer brick. Wishing I could sample yours...and your blintz casserole! Nommies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a comment. I want you to know that this is a sacrifice that I am making, to see why your friends can't comment. I'd much rather be bookmarking the recipe to try sometime later this week.

    Since this is an inline form, I'd bet that your friends should start by checking "third party cookies".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kugel me this......where are the chocolate bits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, chocolate has no place in a kugel. Rugala? Oh, hell yes. Babka? Ditto. But kugel? That's just wrong. Unless it's for dessert. But still...

    ReplyDelete