Friday, October 1, 2010

It's Just A Jump To The Left

I'm the one in the back
This morning, I went downstairs to make the newly-employed a nice breakfast, an egg, some buttered toast, a little juice, followed by a nice lunch to bring to work, a tuna sandwich, some Nacho Cheese Doritos.  How cute is that?  As I put a napkin inside the brown bag, a napkin I knew he wouldn't use, but what sort of mother makes her boy lunch and doesn't give him a napkin, just in case he spills, the oddest sensation came over me.   It was astounding. Right there in the kitchen, I started dancing, which, in and of itself, isn't usual.  For the SJG, dancing occurs daily, at random intervals.  But this particular jig felt different.  I had no control over the moves.  A higher authority instructed me:  "It's just a jump to the left. And then a step to the right. With your hands on your hips. You bring your knees in tight.  But it's the pelvic thrust. That really drives you insane. Let's do the Time Warp again. Let's do the Time Warp again."

Hubby appeared, just in time to witness the spectacle.  "What are you doing?"  "The time warp.  Again.  Join me?"  "Pass."  I looked at the eldest.  "You?"  "No energy.  Not over my cold yet."  "Rain check, son?"  "Perhaps, mother."  "You do realize what's going on here, don't you?"  The eldest nodded.  He's been to college.  He's book-smart. "I'm back in high school." "Exactly.  And why's that?"  "I'm getting up early.  Leaving the house early.  Coming home early.  Watching TV with you guys.  Going to bed early.  I have no social life until the weekend."  "You're back in high school."  Hubby nodded.  "He's back in high school."  "And we're right there with him," I said.  "Spoiling him rotten," hubby added.  The newly-employed tossed back a Claritin (non-drowsy) with his o.j. "What's for dinner?" "What would you like?"  "Something delicious."  "I'm on it."  Yep. We're back in high school, not a bad place to be, all things considered.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose this means he'll join a band again & they'll be a Work Prom next Spring? The more things change...

    ReplyDelete