Friday, November 12, 2010

A Phone Call from West L.A.

What month is it?
Dad:  I called up Scotty this morning and sang to him.  I think I woke him up.
Me:  Why did you sing to him?
Dad:  It's his birthday.
Me:  What?  No, it isn't. 
Dad.  It isn't?
Me:  His birthday's on the 17th. 
Dad:  Why didn't he tell me?
Me:  He probably wasn't awake. 
Dad:  What a sweet kid. He didn't want to make his old grandfather feel dumb.
Me:  So you sang to him, the whole routine?  Even "I'll take it from here boys?"
Dad: I went through the entire song.  It was one of my better performances.
Me:  How could I forget his birthday's next week? 
Dad:  I already sent the check, too.
Me:  Oh, Daddy. 

I hang up and go over to the calendar on the fridge.  Something's not right, but I can't figure out what.  I'm usually on top of things, b'day-wise.  I'm all about b'days, in fact.  Cake and candles and gifts.  The SJG goes all out.  So I stare and stare and then it hits me.  Aw... well, that explains it.  I call up my dad and laugh hysterically for several minutes.  It's just me laughing, and then he's laughing.  We're both laughing like crazy people. 

Me:  So guess what?
Dad:  What?
Me:  Scotty's birthday isn't next week.  It's next month.
Dad:  I sang the whole song.  Why didn't he tell me?
Me:  He probably wasn't awake.

4 comments:

  1. Does that mean your not coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can Scotty get a repeat of the check? even the song ? He probably went out and spent that check with his friends celebrating his birthday! Now what will he do on his REAL birthday, you do not want him sitting around telling stories of how he is the youngest and family cannot remember when his birthday is?? He needs 2 checks to help lick that wound LOL LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pass this along to my dad. Two checks: mandatory. One for Scotty, one for the SJG.

    ReplyDelete