Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Means Thanks Living

The SJG obsessively checks the turkeys

Table for 10

Tables for 10 more
We have two expressions at this time of year:  "Bring out the first turkey!" (Alka Seltzer), and "Thanksgiving means thanks living," (my mother's rabbi in Chicago).  Oh, and one more thing:  "Why so chintzy with the wine?  Fill 'er up."  This year, I'm cooking my cuzzie-caterer Amy's (http://www.amysculinaryadventures.com/) take on Martha Stewart's Turkey 101.  Martha bastes with melted butter and wine, but Amy bastes with melted butter and Harvey's Bristol Creme Sherry. Amy says it's downright upright, and I believe her, as it involves cheesecloth, starting the bird at a high temperature (which makes the SJG very very nervous) and basting, basting, basting, every freakin' half hour.  My house smells so good, it's obscene.  I've got the Macy's Parade on, I've got a nice hubby anticipating various televised sporting events, I've got two sons asleep upstairs, I've got an eight-year-old dog named Dusty that thinks he's still a puppy.  I've got my health.  What more could a short Jewish gal want?

3 comments:

  1. basting with Harvey's? Holy mother of god, that sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It smells divine, but the cheesecloth made me too nervous. It turns black! So I'm back to foil. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the records show that for my day-after-Thanksgiving Turkey I used the Cheese Cloth & it turned out fantastic! The Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry Butter basting worked too (and the dripping make for yummy gravy)!

    ReplyDelete