Monday, September 22, 2014

Apropos of Nothing

Just before heading upstairs to get ready for beddy, I said this, apropos of nothing: "Boutros Boutros-Ghali!" "Where did that come from?" hubby asked. "I have no idea. I will investigate and get back to you." Junior detective that I am, I went in search of an answer. These days, it's so nice when you can find one. Answers can be so elusive, don't you think? Of course you do. I'm so glad we agree. Hubby, a student of the world, reminded me that B.B.G. once served as Secretary-General of the U.N. (He just knows stuff.) But the SJG, a student of People Magazine and HGTV, suspected this exclusive info had little to do with B.B.G.'s sudden appearance in my keppy. Unless, pre-Atonement, some force from above decided to float a random reminder my way: Strive for diplomacy each and every day. Hmmm. Your thoughts? Exactly. No connection whatso. And then it hit me. The other night, I'd watched "Seinfeld," as I do many nights. The episode in question takes place in the Hamptons. When Jerry, Kramer and Elaine see a half-naked woman on the beach, Jerry says, "Boutros Boutros-Ghali." (Jerry pronounces Ghali "golly.") So there you have it. For the next few days, "Boutros Boutros-Ghali" will be my go-to expression... until I get to temple and start atoning for my lack of diplomacy, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment