Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Member of the Family

It was the sob heard round the house.  "Mom!  Did you hear who died?" This from the youngest.  And then the phone rang.  "I feel like I lost a member of the family." This from my mother-in-law.
The death of James Gandolfini, from all reports, a shy, big teddy bear of a guy in real life, a genius on stage and screen, has hit everyone hard. When I saw him in "God of Carnage" in New York, I had trouble catching my breath.  It took me half the show to calm down.  I couldn't believe he was right there, just a few feet away.  The whole shlubby thing... the grin... the eyes... it was working for me.   A neurotic mob boss.  A Brooklyn dad arguing over a playground brawl.  No matter who he portrayed, he got under your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment