Monday, June 3, 2013

The Birth of the Baby

"The Birth of the Baby: Part 2"
I was a freshman at UCLA.  My dad, the one, the only Ben Starr, was on the writing staff of "All in the Family."  He co-wrote one of the most beloved episodes, when Gloria gave birth.  I got to go to the taping.  A personal thrill for the SJG.  My dad has fond memories of Jean Stapleton.  "She was a lovely person.  Much more sophisticated than her character.  I would chat with her occasionally and was always impressed with her sensitivity."  Here's a great clip of Archie and Edith in the waiting room, followed by, what else, the birth of the baby.  I don't know about you, but I haven't seen this since 1975, first when I sat in the audience, and then again, when it aired on TV.

2 comments:

  1. Too great. Thanks for posting the clip...and thank Papa Ben for writing it! He brought a lot of happiness into our home over the years with the late great Edith Bunker.

    ReplyDelete