Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Search For Lost Bacon

Scrambled memories
For some, a bite of cookie unlocks a lifetime of memories.  For others, thinking about bacon unlocks a lifetime of so-called memories. Yesterday, the former birthday boy known as John informed the Rapper known as Scott D that we ate bacon and eggs every morning growing up.  The Rapper looked at me for confirmation.  "That is completely untrue," I said.  "We only ate bacon and eggs on Sunday."  "You're wrong and I'm right," my brother insisted.  "I'm not wrong.  You have the weirdest memory of things that never happened or sort of happened or happened occasionally."  "How dare you question me on my birthday," he said, sticking to his version of events.  In his mind, we ate bacon and eggs every morning.  In my mind, we ate bagels on Sunday and bacon occasionally, and scrambled eggs sometimes, and at some point, my mother switched from bacon to healthy-ish sausages.  Who's right?  Who's wrong?  We both are.  At this point, our childhood memories are a bit scrambled.

No comments:

Post a Comment