Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Eavesdropping In NYC

A muggy, muggy day in NYC

The lady at the Cosmic diner summed it up best, with a bissel Yiddish, to boot: "Be grateful! This is bashert." Whatever she meant was meant to be, I can't tell you, but I took it to mean that I was meant to eavesdrop on her conversation. After all, she was on the other side of my booth, having a loud and testy conversation with someone I decided was either a husband or ex-husband, or more than likely a brother, given the level of New York honesty.

When you talk loudly in front of the out-of-town SJG, be forewarned. I tend to jot down a few notes. And this gal was offering such wisdom:

Man: "You are a pain in the ass."
Woman: "I know, but it paid off."
Perfect response to any insult hurled your way, am I right?

Then later, this:
Woman: "Stop trying to placate me."
Man: "Stop lecturing me."
Who wouldn't want to hang out with these two?

The lovely windows at Bendels

Earlier in the day, I visited Bendels, my favorite store. Gone: all the private vendors. It's now 100 percent Bendels merchandise. So I bought myself a Bendels-made bauble. How could I not? Gone, too, the uber-aggressive makeup section. There was no one to accost me. No one to say, "I've got something for that situation under your eyes." Well, color my cheeks ecstatic with a hint of shimmer. If that's not the definition of bashert, what is?

The almost late "Late Show." Don't go, Dave. Stay. 

4 comments:

  1. Stay out of the subways. It's too hot! You'll melt on the platform waiting for a train. I know you. Just take a cab. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, but perhaps unintended, "Oz" reference...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not catching obscure Oz reference, Stevie. Please to explain?

      Delete
  3. Cathy, subways? What are those? I walk or a cab.

    ReplyDelete