Wednesday, May 13, 2015

So Many Marilyns

Andy Warhol anyone?

How often do you get to go museum-ing on a whim? If you live in L.A., uh, never. In L.A. you must plan. You must get a Ph.D in Traffic Avoidance. You must schlep, schlep, schlep. In New York, you can say, "Hey, why don't I get my ass some culture, like, now?" Well, that's what I did yesterday. I wandered around the Museum of Modern Art, bathing in Picasso, Monet and Van Gogh, till a guard came by and said, "The only nudes welcome here are on the wall. Put your schmata back on." Message received, sir.

My shoe is your shoe.

I don't know about you, because you never write, you never call, but when I think Warhol, I think about the Multitude of Monroes and Campbell Soups, not shoes. Turns out, he did a whole series of shoes when he was the sole illustrator for shoe maker I. Miller. 

You can lead a shoe to water but you can't make it drink.

I found Warhol's clever shoes so magical, and my own sensible, orthotic footwear so appalling, that I felt momentarily horrified. But it passed, especially when I found this famous portrait...

Frida K.

... and felt instantly grateful that God spared me such a hellacious unibrow. What, they didn't have tweezers back then?

Shiva with Larry D.

In the early eve, hubby and I grabbed Cuban food at Victor's Cafe, totally delish, by the way, and went to see "Fish in the Dark," Larry David's smash hit. How I scored these tickets, I'd rather not say, but a guy named Guido was involved. I adore Larry David so much, it's hard to quantify said adoration. I wanted to adore his play. There were laughs and fun and all, but overall, it didn't quite match my high expectations. But then, what does?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a grand time! Yeah, I heard about Larry David's play. Let's just say we're not putting the "Curb" files into storage at the office just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should bring back "Curb." It's much better than this show! I'm having a blast. Today is "Beautiful" and "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time."

    ReplyDelete