Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Curious Incident of the SJG in NYC

Chilina Kennedy, fabulous as Carole King

Sometimes I'm a little opinionated. Like yesterday, when moments after "Beautiful" ended, as Debbi (aka "Bubbles") and the SJG made our way out of the theater, singing our mutual theme song, "Natural Woman," the gal walking behind us dispersed with highly erroneous, Carole King-related info. Wife to Husband: "Nothing in the show about James Taylor?! She was married to him!" The SJG brain started pinging. I'm an expert on Carole King, an expert, I tell ya. And James Taylor? Please. I know plenty about him, too. I turned around and defended my idols.

JT and CK

SJG: "Carole King and James Taylor were never married."
Wife: "They weren't?"
SJG: "They were close friends."
Wife: "But they had a child together!"
SJG: "No, they didn't."
Wife: "Are you sure?"
SJG: "Positive."
Wife: "I thought they had a child."
SJG: "They didn't."
I turned around. My work was done.

Taylor Trensch in "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

In the evening, another incident. "Oh, no!" I said to the elegant and very tall Connie Ray, star of Broadway, TV and other impressive stuff. "What is it now?" she said. "We don't get to see Alex Sharp, the Tony-nominated guy." "We don't?" "No, we're seeing the Wednesday guy... Taylor Trensch." "So?" "So, I'm just telling you." "I'm sure the other guy will be wonderful." As usual, she was right. He was great, the show was great and my head is still spinning, maybe due to the crazy-high pollen count. 

Really, New York? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment