Sunday, August 8, 2010

Funny Bump

                                   
The other day, I was talking to my close personal friend, Lady Babs, and she said, "You know, SJG, I was very flattered that Jennifer Aniston chose to interpret my style with the photos in Harper's Bazaar. She is a delightful person, and I think she did a wonderful job.  If only she had a bump on her nose."

Where's the bump?
"I would've gladly loaned her mine," I said.  "Tell me," said Babs, "what age did you get your bump?" "Oh, 11ish.  The same year I grew a butt."  "Oy," she said.  "Puberty's a bitch."

I couldn't agree more.  "It felt like a big biological conspiracy." "So, what stopped you from getting it fixed?" "Pain.  I'm not a big fan of it."  "Who needs it?  There's enough to go around."  "Exactly."  "Just between us, you never futzed with the bump, not even a little?" "Not a sliver, Babs. That's not to say I wasn't self-conscious.  For seven years, I never let a cute boy get a side view." "People need people.  You did the right thing."  "Coming from you, that means a lot." "I'm here for you, darling." "But guess what?  At 18, it came in handy when I needed glasses.  Glasses not only camouflaged the bump, they fit like a dream." "They say God works in mysterious ways."  "That's my favorite line from 'Yentl.'"  "Mine, too."

4 comments:

  1. THAT'S what I need... a bump! This stunted little ski slope of a schnoz can't hold eyeglasses on to save its life. I'll trade you your bump for my freckles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello gorgeous! Nicky Arnstein's got bubkis on you!

    ReplyDelete