Monday, August 2, 2010

What A Creepy, Romantic Gesture

On "Madmen," when that icky Glenn (nicknamed "future serial killer" by the eldest) left a lanyard under Sally's pillow, I flashed on all the half-finished key chains and bracelets I attempted at Camp Akela during my youth.  It may have been Christmas in Draper-land, but in my nostalgia-addled brain, all those twisty plastic knots spelled sum-sum-summertime.  Big Bear.  The first moon walk.  The first crushes.  The first smooches.  Tramp-olines.  Archery.  Slow dances.  Campfires.  Hikes.  Mosquito bites.  Overnights.  Horseback rides.  Canteens.  Capture the Flag. "Kumbaya."  "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho."  "They Call the Wind Mariah." Oh, and one more thing.  Arts & Crafts.  Girls making lanyards for cute boys, and vice versa. 

Now, if you're anything like me, you're wondering how that creepster Glen made such a pretty lanyard for Sally.  Let's review, shall we?

•Take the two lengths of lace and fold them in two then tie a knot; making this close to the edge of the two laces.
•After making the knot you will have 4 strands fastened near the top, at this point you will separate the laces in all opposite directions.
•Next you will begin to begin to interlace the 4 strands starting with the one closest to you then repeat until they all cross each other.
•While you are cross each make sure to keep the lace nice and tight so that the lanyard will come out right.
•Once you have gotten to the desire length of the lanyard create a similar knot at the new end.  Then go ahead, and trash the house of the one you love.   It doesn't get more romantic than that.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have lanyards anywhere in my tons of treasured Camp stuff. I guess we always made them for the parents and grandparents and kept zilch for ourselves. I loved making them. Do they still do this I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so, bro'. We just gave them as gifts, which explains why we don't have any!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's this for politically incorrect? I'm pretty sure we called the lace "gimp" in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Color war. Hogans. No thank you portions. White feathers. And a great big HO. Gosh, Carol, I remember all those things, and I remember you and Jody Simon too... hope you are well. --Cliff

    ReplyDelete