Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Bad Hair Decade

The uber-coiffed SJG (second from left) brings 
new meaning to the phrase, "What was I thinking?"
Imagine my surprise when I saw myself tagged in this photo, circa early '80s, by my friend Eric. I literally went into shock and had to be revived by a team of emergency hair stylists.  I'm surrounded by my longtime friends Wendy, Helen, Linda and Maddy.  Check out the major fro' and the pseudo-smile on my punim. I look like I'm the target of a haircare intervention, the theme being, "Say no to the next perm." (Of course, really good friends would've stopped me before the first perm.) My ridiculous poof-fest is just all kinds of wrong. What's worse, there appear to be flowers crowning my mop top of shame.  Isn't the SJG brave to share this with you?  It's my way of saying, "See, I make mistakes, too." Big ones. Huge.  Notice how the other gals look like they've got it going on, style-wise, whereas I look like I've been abducted by Barbra Streisand's former hairdresser/boyfriend Jon Peters. Oh, and check out my clothes. The red, the white and the blue of it. Clearly, I'm going through a patriotic stage.  I'm all about "my country tis of thee." But why? Why? WHY? My friends should've laid down the law, don't you think?  I mean, if they truly loved me, they would've taken me shopping, but noooo, look at them, just smiling away, relishing my bad fashion choices. So please, go ahead and laugh.  Be my guest.  But I doubt you'll laugh any louder than my eldest, who's still doubled over in hysterics, and can't stop saying, "Mom! WTF!" WTF, indeed.
(11/22/10)

9 comments:

  1. Dear SJG
    1.) You look great in this picture. Totally adorable.
    2.) I'd kill for your gorgeous permed or un-permed hair.
    Sign me,
    Guy Who Started Going Bald At 19

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, you had only to ask. I would've gladly donated to the cause. And anonymous: let's see some photos of you from the '80s. Bring it! hahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you all look great and you show terrific restraint with respect to what most 80's perms were achieving: you guys were definitely "suborbital!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice cheerful picture! You look like a perfectly charming group of young ladies, and the flowers growing out of your head are a nice decorative flourish!

    I'm afraid I would never have the courage to share any photo of myself from the 80s online. I was a teenage boy during most of the decade, so I didn't really have a hairstyle as such, just hair that pointed in whatever direction it pleased.

    It was an improvement on the 70s, though, during most of which my head looked like a button mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers growing out of my keppy were a surgical implant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what that operation would even be called? Petuniaplasty, or something. It really is a very nice picture, though.

    ReplyDelete