Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Hidden Advantage

An early morning conversation with the eldest:
"Guess what day it is today?"
"What day is it, Mother?"
"It's our special day, honey. A day devoted just to us."
"Is it Fart Day?"
"God forbid."
"Give me a hint."
"What am I doing right now?"
"Waving a pen at me."
"Which means?"
"It's Pen Day?"
"Uh, no."
"Wrist Day?"
"Oh, for @##%'s sake!"
"Just tell me. I have to leave for work."
"Okay. Here's a big clue."
"It's... Hand Day."
"Could you be more specific?"
"Left hand? Is it... Left-Hander's Day?"
"Two hours later, yes."
"That is exciting. See you tonight."
"Hang on. I'm not done with my blog."
"You have to blog about this?"
"You have to ask?"
"One more question then I'm going."
"Fine. How has being left-handed affected your life?"
"It hasn't. Bye."
"Wait. Not even a little?"
"Not day to day. Except scissors. Scissors are the enemy."
"So true."
"I'm leaving."
"Hang on, you. Give me a plus about being a lefty and I'll let you go."
"It's given me an advantage in sports."
"I love that. How?"
"People don't expect you to be left-handed in basketball. You can pretend you're a righty and go right then switch to your left and fake them out."
"I think I'll try that today at Gelson's with my cart."
"You'll cause a scene."
"Always the goal."

3 comments:

  1. Poor young fellow, his entire life clearly devastated by his unfortunate left-handedness.

    Incidentally, Carol, is there any way to follow your blog? I've tried that "Subscribe to" thing below, but it just takes me to a page of gobbledygook! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be too forward, Bun, but you could "friend" me on Facebook, and be regaled with my silliness daily.

    ReplyDelete