Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Fingers Crossed vs. Kina Hora

Dear SJG,
Since you're the authority on everything, more or less, I'm wondering if you could help me out. What's the diff between crossing one's fingers, knocking on wood and saying kina hora poo poo poo?
Sincerely,
Very Superstitious

Dear Superstitious,
Aren't you a smarty to ask. Pull up a chair and rest your butt, this may take a while. As a Jewiss of semi-import, I've used all three, depending on the situation, and with slight adjustments. I tend to say "fingies crossed" when wishing other people good luck. So, if a close friend is up for a job, a part or something that, just between us, has no immediate relevance in my life, whatsoever, I'll say, "I'm keeping my fingies crossed on your behalf." Fingers crossed is pretty much a Christian reference about asking God for protection, so I reserve it for my extremely goyisha friends.
There are exceptions, of course. When I'm dealing with the one and only Connie Ray, farm-raised star of screen, telly and stage, I'm required to "dance around a chicken bone" if something good is on the horizon for her. What Connie doesn't know, fingies crossed, is that there are only so many lines I'm willing to cross. But I pretend I'm doing it, which is all that matters.
As for knocking on wood and saying kina hora poo poo poo, both are about warding off evil. I like to combine them for double protection. I'll say kina hora and spit three times, while knocking on my wooden keppy, or maybe a table, just in case evil is lurking around the corner (God forbid) or I want something good to happen for someone I adore, obsessively, and tend to enable and/or smother whenever the mood strikes (which is often). Sure, it may be overkill, but when has that ever stopped me?
Dude, you're overdoing it.

For example, here's something I said yesterday, while tapping on my noggin: "Of course, you'll find a nice big apartment you can afford, one with two parking spots, which would be a miracle, but why not, an updated kitchen, a dishwasher, a swimming pool, a gym and a laundry facility, in a safe neighborhood with great walkability, in a location your devoted mother can reach without taking 18 different freeways, kina hora, poo poo poo."
Hope this helps clarify things.
You're welcome,
The SJG

No comments:

Post a Comment