Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Alphabetically Challenged

"Freddie, who do I make the check out to?"  "My brother, Esbin."  "Esbin.  E - s - b - i -n?  B?"  Freddie flashes me the victory sign.  "Yes.  B, as in Victor."  "B?  As in Victor?"  "Yes.  B, as in Victor."  He gives me the "V" sign again.  I start laughing hysterically.  "I'm sorry, Freddie, I don't understand."  "What don't you understand?"  "Is it B or V?"  "It's B."  "So E - s - b - i - n?"  "No.  E - s - b - i - n."  More laughter on my part.  Freddie smiles.  "What is so funny?"  "I'm so confused.  Is it B as in boy?"  "No.  It's B as in Victor."  It's starting to turn deja vu-ish and "Who's on first?"  But the SJG doesn't give up that easily.  "Hang on.  Is it V as in very?"  "Yes," says Freddie.  "It's B as in very."
With great uncertainty, I go inside and write the check to his hermano,  E - s - v - i - n and bring it out to him.  "Is this right, Freddie?"  He gives me the thumbs-up.  I nailed it.  I can hardly wait to miscommunicate over the name of the paint we've agonizingly selected.  I can just hear the exchange:  "No, Freddie, I said Tan Plan.  Not Bland Plan."  "You said Bland Plan.  I wrote it down."  "Fine, we'll go with Bland Plan.  It's always been a dream on mine to make the house look bland.  I want you to go crazy with the bland.  The blander, the better.  As long as it doesn't look like baby poop, I'm good with it.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going inside to self-medicate."

3 comments:

  1. Freddie reminds me of the Man.
    What Man?
    The Man with the Plan.
    What Plan?
    The Plan for Tan Plan.
    Tan Plan?
    Plan do?
    Voo doo?
    Baby Poo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tan Plan sounds suspiciously like baby poop + bland. Oy vey, woman!

    MC

    ReplyDelete