Wednesday, May 18, 2011

You Ordered What?

I've always had a thing for horses
"You never order GOY at a deli, unless you're Diane Keaton," said my dad, after I admitted to him that I'd made a very bad decision at the Carnegie Deli.  While hubby gobbled down a  corned beef sandwich bigger than a taxi, the SJG stared forlornly at the Carnegie version of a tuna melt.  It was mountainous and unconquerable and just plain unappetizing.  I seriously don't know what I was thinking.  I blame Annie, the ancient  waitress, who hobbled up to our tiny table and asked, "What can I get you, ladies?" The hubby-centric gender mishap threw me, and somehow "bagel, cream cheese and lox" came out tuna melt.  Mainly, I ate pickles, which explains the non-stop burpage.  Luckily, the gastric eruptions subsided by the time we sat down to "War Horse," an oh-my-gawd theatrical experience of how'd-they-do-that.  Burping during such a dramatic feast of astonishing horse puppetry and anti-war sentiment would've been wrong on many levels.  I am so glad Connie Ray, star of Broadway, ordered me to see it and I bought tickets early.  This show is sold out well into next century.  Tonight I see "Book of Mormon."  I am one lucky SJG, except when it comes to ordering at the Carnegie Deli.

2 comments:

  1. For goodness sake Carol please don't blog about this food ordering disaster! What would your Temple friends think if they knew you asked for tuna in a New York Deli? Shudder!

    What? Too late? This isn't a text? Where am I? Whoopsie! Great... now the damage is done and people know you made a mistake and were punished by the Almighty by burping all night.

    I share your shame.

    Can't wait to hear about 'Book of Morman' . While you're still burping I'm coloring myself green with envy..,

    ReplyDelete