Sunday, May 22, 2011

Word Up

Whatever it means, I love it
 In NYC, I discovered a new word.  I love this word so much, I plan to slip it into daily conversation and turn it into the go-to expression of the year.  I love this word for its multitude of made-up meanings and possibilities.  You can put an "ed" on the end or an "ing" or just let it sit there, looking pretty on its own.  You can dress it up or dress it down, use it with love or hostility.  Depending on your mood, you can make it a compliment or a clever insult.  Do a double entendre with it and bat your eyes. Win a round of Scrabble with it.  The other day, gal pal Debbi and I stumbled upon our new favorite word in our quest to escape the rain. We ducked into a lovely restaurant  called Sarabeth, across from Central Park, and managed to kill many hours with lively discussion, made even livelier with our very rude application of our new favorite word.  It was just staring up at us from the menu, in a shy short of way, wondering if we'd notice it or pass it by.  We glommed onto it and wouldn't let go.  We pointed to it and asked the waiter, "What is that?"  Even he didn't know.  "I'll go check," he said.  He came back with this:  "It's a spread, like butter."  The real meaning wasn't that important.  We'd found a winner and ran with it.  "Go clabber yourself."  "Clabber off and die."  "I'm so clabbered."  "Arnie is famous for clabberng around on Maria." "I hear he clabbered the maid."  "I hear he clabbered California." "I hope Maria clabbers him in the divorce."  Stop me now before I clabber again.  On second thought, I'm just getting started.
Debbi loves our new word, too
Please sir, can I have some clabber?

1 comment:

  1. I think Arnold clabbered himself pretty good. Last night he grunted "I'm clabbed".

    ReplyDelete