Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Really Famous Guy

Last night, during intermission at  "The Book of Mormon", one of the funniest musicals I've ever seen, and certainly the most outrageous, a really famous guy squeezed by me, taking a shortcut down my row.  "I was shocked," he said into his cell phone.  "Completely shocked."  I was shocked, too, as he banged into me.  We were knee to knee for a second there.  "Are you okay?" he asked me.  "No worries," I said, in my California way.  He went back to his cell phone conversation.  He was still shocked about something. I looked at Debbi, my theater companion and giggle mate.  "That guy who kneed me is really famous. He directed that Michael Jackson movie, 'This is Your Life.' Or whatever it's called.  Oh, and 'High School' Musical.  He's a choreographer guy too."  I  grabbed her arm.  "What's his name?"  "I don't know."  "Oh, God, Debbi, I'm going to go crazy if I can't remember.  I think it's Benny something."  "Benny?" Debbi asked.  "Benny Something.  No, that's not right.  It's Freddy."  "Yeah, Freddy sounds right.  Let's go with that," Debbi said, trying to shut me up.  Good luck with that. "This is going to drive me insane."  I turned to the woman to the right of me.  "Can you Google something for me on your iPhone?"  She smiled.  "Sure."  "Type in, 'who directed the Michael Jackson movie?"  "What was it called?"  "This is..."  "This Is It," said my new best friend.  Her fingers tapped away.  "No internet connection.  I must've turned it off," she said.  "Can you turn it back on?  And hurry." Clearly, she wasn't picking up on the urgency of the situation.  She tried again.  Still no connection.  And then the lights went out.  I was devastated.  Debbi looked at me.  "Put it out of your mind."  "Have you met me?" I asked.  "Let it go," she said.  "You let it go," I said.  "I've got to know his name!" But within seconds, I was too busy laughing hysterically to obsess over the famous guy who kneed me.  Benny or Freddy.  When I got back to the hotel, I hit the laptop and found my answer.  Kenny Ortega.  Kenny Ortega kneed me.  Hard. But he was really nice about it.  I'm not surprised.  He's a Californian.

5 comments:

  1. I am so insanely jealous you got to see that show without me!!! Keep having fun and carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny Ortega kneed me. Don't me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be jealous, I meant. Or be jealous. You went to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol...let me get this straight. A famous Hollywood Director who makes movie musicals bumps you during intermission of a Broadway smash and you don't yell "Did somebody say 'Tap Dance?' and then go into your routine? This was your big break! You could have gone in as an audience member and come out a starr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, you're right, bro, I blew it. That was my big chance.

    ReplyDelete