Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Life Is Life Alert

It took a little convincing, but my dad, who will tell you he's 92, even though it's not official till next week, or up himself to 93, depending on the day, finally agreed.  Okay, okay, fine.  Set up the Life Alert thing.  So hurray.  He now has one of those buttons to press if, God forbid, anything happens.  I think I've said, God forbid, at least 82 times over the course of this particular addition to his swinging elderly lifestyle.  In times of worry, I get very religious.

Most of the conversations have gone something like this:
"Tell me again why I need it?"
"You need it so that, God forbid, you fall, or God forbid, you don't feel well, you push the button and talk to someone and they come and help you."
"Nothing's going to happen."
"God willing."
"So, let's just forget it."
"No, Daddy, let's not forget it."
"Okay.  When are they coming?"
"I'll let you know."
"Are they coming today?"

Yesterday, they came.  Let's find out how that went:
"The installation guy talked so fast, I told him to slow down."
"But he set it up?"
"Yeah, he set it up, then he left, and two minutes later, the phone rings and it's someone else wanting to ask 800 follow-up questions."
"Fun!"
"It was the strangest conversation I've ever had in my entire life.  The guy wouldn't stop talking.  At a certain point, I said to him, 'I'm hanging up in 30 seconds.'  And guess what?  That's exactly what I did. I hung up while he was still talking."
"Daddy, you are hilarious."
"The guy on the phone didn't think so."

No comments:

Post a Comment