Saturday, October 5, 2013

Walkies

The early afternoon walkies with Cheryl and Scout have finally resumed after a lengthy break.  You didn't even know we'd taken a break, did you?  Don't get huffy. I can't tell you everything.  Some things are semi-private.  But I can tell you this: the SJG didn't instigate the break in our beloved routine.  I didn't do diddly.  I didn't do anything to embarrass Cheryl, at least not intentionally.  I didn't break into my daily song and dance routine in front of her (and you have no idea how much self-control that requires).  I didn't harshly critique her so-called "landscaping" in the front yard, which, believe me, would've set her off, big time.  I didn't secretly volunteer her for a reality show called "What Not To Wear During Walkies."  I didn't spout my extreme dog-raising theories at the top of my lungs.  Cheryl has raised more dogs than the SJG.  I've raised one.  She's raised... I've lost count.  When it comes to canines, she went to Harvard, I went to junior college for half a semester.

So, if I didn't do anything, then why, why why the long break?  Why the lonely months of walking Dusty on my own?  I finally worked up the nerve to ask her.  "Was it something I said?" Turns out, it wasn't me, it was the weather.  When it's freakin' hot, Cheryl and Scout prefer early morning walkies or early evening walkies, and not, a las, mid-afternoon walkies. The SJG, on the other hand, doesn't give a rat's patootie  about such things.  Short of a blizzard, a hurricane, a snowstorm in Sherman Oaks, I'm out there, walking my dog around 2, 2:30, 2:45. In this way, I'm much like a postal person.  I walk the dog, no matter what the eff is going on outside. And now that's it's cooler, and by cooler I mean 88, as opposed to 98, the afternoon walkies with Cheryl and Scout have resumed, and for that, I'm grateful.  Yesterday, we saw a handsome, incredibly buff shirtless dude on walkies with his dog.  It doesn't get any better than that, my friends.  As I keep telling Cheryl, sometimes you have to leave the house in the mid-afteroon to see the good stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment