Friday, December 13, 2013

This Is Courtship?

"Why didn't you answer my text?"
It's not often that the SJG is called upon to give relationship advice to the sons I lovingly birthed, in between crying out for drugs, but now and then, one of them will ask me for guidance. The challenge:  how to advise without sounding like I'm from the last century.  Oh, wait.  I am from the last century. The eldest is currently on a quest to meet someone special courtesy of a cut-to-the-chase "app." You check out each other's photo, and if you're both semi-intrigued, you fast-forward to texting. You text for awhile, and then maybe you work up the nerve to meet. This is courtship? The other day, the eldest expressed his frustration. The texting thing was going on too long.  He wanted to meet her already, but she was hesitant.  She'd been "burned before." Who hasn't?  I could tell his patience was running out and offered up this pearl of wisdom: "Why don't you call her, honey?" "What do you mean?" "I mean call her on the phone. Stop with the texting and call her. You know, actually talk to her."  "What's the point?" "Well, in my day, there was nothing more fun than waiting for a boy to call you.""I don't need to talk to her, I need to see her." "Okay, sweetie.  I just thought it was worth mentioning." "I'll give her a few more days, then I'm moving on." "That's another way to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment