Wednesday, December 25, 2013

When I Worked With Ralphie

Did I ever tell you about the time I worked with Ralphie?  Well, I did.  It was years after Peter Billingsley starred in "A Christmas Story," now playing on a continuous loop on TBS.  In the mid-90s, I wrote a CBS Schoolbreak Special called "The Writing On The Wall."  The once and always Ralphie was in his 20s, a real mensch, a total pro -- portraying one of three Swastika-loving teenage idiots who defaced a synagogue and rabbi's home, on the eve of Halloween. Based on a true story, no less.  What?  You think I make this stuff up?  The once and always Ralphie was so convincing as a punk who deserved to rot in hell, but changed his beliefs, courtesy of the very patient rabbi, that he got nominated for a daytime Emmy. Did he win?  Not so much. Hal Linden, who played the rabbi, won instead. Still, it was a kvell-worthy event. I'll always treasure my time with Peter Billingsley, the once and always Ralphie, who went on to produce and direct and turned "A Christmas Story" into a Broadway musical.  Merry Xmas, Ralphie.  Merry Xmas to you all.  Maybe I'll watch "A Christmas Story" again.  Then again, maybe not.  I've got a copy of "Her" waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment