Monday, December 22, 2014

At Last Night's Christmas Party

A big holiday hug, followed by:
"Ginny, hi! Has it been a year already? It's so nice to see you!"
"You, too."
"How are you?"
"Um... fine. Except... I'm not Ginny."
"You're not?"
"No. I'm Carol."
"So sorry. Have you seen Ginny?"
"She's over by the punch, getting good and schnockered."

A little while later, another warm greeting:
"Hi, Susan. Merry Christmas."
"Thank you. I'm not Susan."
"Oh, no."
"You're close, though. Susan is my middle name."
"I'm so embarrassed."
"Don't be. I look forward to this moment every year."
"You do? Why?"
"Every year, you call me Susan, and every year, I tell you my name is Carol, and Susan is my middle name."
"You're kidding?"
"I'm not."
"So it's Carol. Not Susan?"
"Or Carol Susan if you prefer."
"I'll never remember that."
"Next year, just say hello and leave out the name. That's what I do. Like, I have no idea what your name is, but you don't know that."
"I do now."

No comments:

Post a Comment