Saturday, December 6, 2014

Think Happy Thoughts


Twelves months flew by and it's time to reflect
On lofty goals I opted to neglect:

Didn't buy myself a mountain retreat,
Didn't recall what I'm doomed to repeat.

Didn't dance on Broadway or gain some height,
Didn't see the Eiffel Tower at night.

But I did some things, I'm happy to say,
Went to NYC, KC, Santa Fe.

There's still next year, and the one after that,
To pack my Samsonite, my coat and hat.

Never Neverland or my own back yard,
It's the simple questions that I find hard:

If Peter Pan can fly sky high and free,
How come I saw those wires on my TV?

2 comments:

  1. Boy, did you grow up or what? I have been an admitted sucker for this show ever since Mary Martin "was flown". .. As mom patiently told me during my first viewing, Peter Pan's cables connect him to our hearts, not our minds, they are proof positive that even "I can fly" with him to glorious adventures in Neverland and return safely home ... but don't try flying without them... I like to think of them as visual metaphors for the aspirational connection, not real cables at all... maybe by the next live show unassisted flight will be possible on stage, but until then, I'm happy with the slightly invasive distraction that almost seems quaint. And weren't the aerial acrobatics during the songs worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Steve, thank you for your amazing feedback. I fly in my dreams, sans wires, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete