Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Take A Number

Is there anything more exciting in life than when they call your number? When the long wait is over? When the world says, "Hey, YOU! The short one with the glasses. It's your turn." And so, you step forward to claim your moment, and it goes something like this:
"Number 48? 48? 48? Anyone? Okay. 49?"
"Woo-hoo! I'm number 49!"
"What'll it be?"
"I'd like a medium-size container of  -- "
"Oh! Did you call 48? Sorry! I was over in the bakery. Can I still go?"
"Well, technically... no, but -- "
"'I just need a few things. Is that cool?"
"Cool? I don't know if cool is -- "
"Thanks."
"It's just that -- "
"I'd like a large container of cole slaw, a large container of --"
"Chutzpah."
"What?"
"Nothing."
"Potato salad. And... oh, how's the pasta thing with the tomatoes? Can I have a sample? And I'd like to try the quinoa thing, too. With the carrots? That looks amazing. And then, a pound of turkey, sliced thin. Half a pound of Jarlsberg..."
A good while later...
"Number 49? 49? 49? You're up, 49! 49?!!!! Going once, going twice. 50?"

No comments:

Post a Comment