Friday, August 17, 2012

Mother-In-Law vs. Mouse

While hubby hovered over Sahid, the Sears guy, and wrestled over fridge issues, the SJG hovered over my mother-in-law, as she wrestled with a user-friendly mouse.  A year after fixing up a room to make it pretty for a computer, she finally got the computer, a shiny, big screen Mac that she finds perplexing on every level.  "You just point the mouse and click," I said.  "Point it where?" she said.  I did my best to show her the basics.  "Look, you've got email!"  "Do I have to read it?" "Let's give it a try," I said, and showed her how to click on the stamp at the bottom of the screen.  Three messages popped up from an old friend she'd given her gmail address to, in a moment of weakness.  "Why does she have to write so much?" "It's not that long,  just a few paragraphs." "How do I get rid of it?" "Don't you want to reply?" "I'd rather call her." This computer thing may take a while to register, but I admire her for trying.  At the tender age of 80, she's faced the keyboard.  Now, if she can just figure out how to use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment