Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Flip Flops Optional

This week, the eldest son attends his first wedding.  One of his college roomies is getting hitched in the middle of a forest in Santa Cruz.  Obviously, the couple isn't Jewish.  Let me just put that out there right away.  The big question of what to wear to a forest wedding has been plaguing us for weeks.  The eldest likes to look good for a party.  Luckily, my dad has chimed in with some outstanding suggestions.  On the phone yesterday, he told Billy, "Make sure you put a branch in the lapel.  That's always a nice touch.  Maybe some leaves in your hair.  Or just go in camouflage, that way you'll blend in."  "That's exactly the plan, Grandpa, thanks."  After the fashion tips from my dad, mother and son moved upstairs, to go shopping in hubby's closet, and soon dress shirts and ties littered the bed.  Billy looked at them, suspiciously.  "Why are Dad's shirts so long?"  "They're not long.  You just tuck them in."  Here he got visibly upset.  "I have to tuck my shirt in?"  "It's a wedding, honey, not a beer pong convention."  "It's a wedding in the forest," he said, as if I needed to be reminded.  "Then wear flip flops.  You'll probably be the only one not barefoot."  "You're not helping me, Mom."  "I'm trying."  Ultimately, we settled on an interesting ensemble, a compromise of young and old:  Hip black jeans.  A bluish/grayish sport coat.  A teal blue dress shirt and snappy tie that brings in all together, as my mother-in-law would say.  What he wears on his feet is his decision.  I think he's going with black loafers, but he'll have a pair of flip flops as a backup, I'm sure.

4 comments:

  1. I give the union 3 years. Tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend whose first marriage lasted 2 weeks and the only reason it lasted that long was it had been such a big event.
    I don't think where you get married matters as when/how your new partner introduces his mistress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, you make such an excellent point. So far, the marriage is working, two days in.

      Delete