Monday, November 18, 2013

Early Retirement

Hold on to your season tickets.  I'm about to make a sports reference. This is a rare occurrence in the SJG blogosphere. Are you ready? Here it comes: In sports, they retire Jerseys. I applaud this trend.  I would like to see a certain TV plot device retired, too. In the past few weeks, two of the shows I watch for Escape Purposes, as opposed to Intellectual Stimulation, have used this plot device. I can always see this plot device coming a mile away, and it makes me cranky. Last night, I was subjected to this plot device again, while watching "Revenge."  Don't judge me.  It's a fun show full of pretty people who dress nicely and have tons of money.  Nothing wrong with that.
Funny, she doesn't look queasy
All was going well until the main character Emily Thorne, who isn't really Emily Thorne, she's Amanda Clarke, faked that she was pregnant so her cute fiance Daniel, who sounds American but is really British in real life, wouldn't cancel their wedding just because he's in love with his old girlfriend, the one he almost killed when he was drunk. Emily needs to marry Daniel so she can fake her death and frame Daniel's evil mother Victoria Grayson, who in real life is Madelyn Stowe, a real sweetheart, according to my inside sources.  Emily even showed Daniel a fake ultrasound to prove she's pregnant, even though she isn't. Another character on another show I watch, "Nashville," is also pretending to be pregnant.  I would like to go on record as saying that faking pregnancy on TV, let alone in real life (although, I've never met a woman who would fake morning sickness, have you?) is the dumbest plot device, unworthy of my time. It's been done, people. Let's retire it, like a sports Jersey.  Let's put it out to pasture, once and for all. Please, no more lame-ass fake pregnancies. I feel strongly about it.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment