Sunday, November 3, 2013

Paula Goes To Israel

There's nothing the SJG likes better than to give a shout out to another SJG.  So it is with a high degree of kvelling that I say Mazel Tov to Paula Abdul, my favorite wacky dancer-choreographer and former "American Idol" judge.  The ex-Laker Girl schlepped to Israel to explore her Jewish roots and plan a belated Bat Mitzvah.  When this Bat Mitzvah is taking place is a little vague, but according to news sources, she hopes to rent out the Western Wall and decorate it tastefully with a disco ball.  You go, girl.  "Beyond being Jewish, I've always found myself to be very much in tune with spirituality," she says.  Who knew?  "I feel very grateful coming to Israel now, where as a woman I know who I am a lot more than even 10 years ago."

When the SJG made a pilgrimage to Israel some 35 years ago, it never occurred to me to reserve the Western Wall for my Bat Mitzvah.  I wanted to meet cute Israeli boys, float in the Dead Sea and eat hummus. But then, I dropped out of shul at the tender age of 12, after what I'll lovingly refer to as "the incident with the assistant rabbi."  Let's just say it ended badly.  Apparently, dancing the Funky Chicken across the bima during services was a no-no.  Lesson learned.  And yet, I think Paula would've appreciated my moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment