Friday, November 8, 2013

Oh, Nathan

There he was at the counter, paying for his food at the hip cafe where hip Valley-types like the SJG go.   I know, I know.  Hip and Valley -- two words that don't necessarily go together.  Hip and the SJG?  Please. I was born hip.  Oh, fine.  No, I wasn't.  But you'll have to trust me on this.  There are a few hip hangs in the area of Studio City, and Nathan Fillion, star of "Castle," a show I don't watch, but many others do, was just a few feet away from me.  I won't lie, it gave me a thrill.  I blurted out, "It's Nathan Fillion.  I love him," to Carla.  "I just saw him in 'Much Ado About Nothing," I told her, as though this celeb sighting had been prearranged just for my benefit.  Of course, I'd already told Carla about my home viewing of "Much Ado."  But I do tend to repeat myself.  Carla knows this about me.  She's very tolerant of my many foibles.  Plus, she was a little too focused on Nathan to worry about my repetitious ways. Just then, I saw her reaching for the iPhone.  "I have to tell my sister," she said.  "She loves him."  A series of excited texts flew back and forth, from the Valley to the Westside, with the following sentiment: "I'm dying!  Dying!" "She wants me to take a photo of him," Carla said.  "No," I scolded.  "No, no, no.  We are not paparazzi.  We must retain our decorum." Yeah, okay, I didn't say that.  I said this, in between giggling like a little girl.  "Yes!  We just have to find the right time." Well, friends, that time presented itself a while later, when we were leaving. There he was, Nathan, Nathan Fillion, star of "Waitress," and other things I can't remember, walking away from the cafe, with a pretty woman.  Where did she come from? She hadn't been there at the counter.  Hmmm.  We didn't need her in the shot, but unless we shoved her out of the way, we were stuck with her. Carla whipped out the iPhone, took a backside shot of Nathan and the anonymous woman we already resented, and sent it off to her sister.  The text came back, full of exclamatory glee.  "Dying!  Dying!!!"  Oh, Nathan.  Next time, Nathan, walk backwards so we can get a better shot.  And please, ditch the pretty woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment