Friday, February 28, 2014

Bachelor Number One

My brother John:  Bachelor Number One
Not everyone has a brother who has appeared on "The Dating Game" not once, but twice, and won both times.  Was it a life-changing experience for Mr. John Starr?  Let's find out, shall we?

1979 Dating Game Win Number One: "The girl in the photo in the skin tight spandex red disco outfit was a stripper who lived in Long Beach. She was really ditzy and I made fun of her with my answers and made Jim Lange laugh a lot. They warned us before the game that the prize date was a cheapie and not to look disappointed when they announced, 'You've won a 'Night on the Town!' She couldn't get off work so I took a friend (our contract said it had to be a member of the opposite sex.) We were limo'd to the old Huntington Hartford Theatre on Vine and saw 'Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road.' Afterwards, we had dinner at Danny's Apple, a restaurant/nightclub in Encino (where everyone called us The Dating Game Couple.) The place was raided that night by the narcs and it was covered the next day in the LA Times."
John and Spandex Girl 
1982 Dating Game Win Number Two: "They called and asked if I'd do the show again. I won again and the girl was a 6 foot tall gorgeous model. When I came around the separation wall to see her for the first time I dropped to my knees and clasped my hands like praying and said directly into the camera, 'Thank you, God.' Jim Lange laughed and the girl and I blew kisses to the audience and we partner danced over the closing credits. Neither of us bothered to go on the date." 
R.I.P. Jim Lange

2 comments:

  1. I also appeared on the dating game as the "comic relief nerd". My friend wanted to try out and I had a car, so we went to Hollywood for the tryout and taping all the way from Pasadena. When it came time for the interview, I tagged along. The interviewers liked the comedy potential of the fact that I played cymbols in the marching band and punnned incessently. So I was selected rather than him... bad for the buddy relationship. I lost, but got a cool Longines Symphonette five way radio which helped soften the tongue lashing from my girlfriend who hadn't been told of the adventure before the show aired. Her friend called her saying that I was on the Dating Game, right now! Tough to recover from that relationship error of omission... But the consolution prize was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Steve, no one would ever call you "comic relief nerd" to your face. Is the consolation prize still working? That would be very cool.

    ReplyDelete