Wednesday, February 19, 2014

That's One Way To Handle It

Dear SJG,
What can I do about conversation hijackers? Should I turn them into the authorities? Tackle them to the ground? Slap them upside the head? Sew their mouths shut? Please, short Jewish etiquette guru, I need some guidance. I'm about to lose my sh*t.
Thankie,
Etiquette Seeker
"You were saying?"
Dear Etiquette Seeker,
I'm so glad you came to me with this important issue of national security. I, too, have been the victim of conversation hijackers, those folks who barge into a private discussion, take over, so rudely, and make it about them. In those moments, I must exercise extreme self-control, something I lack 99 percent of the time.  I prefer another, less taxing approach. Here's what I suggest. The next time someone commandeers your conversation, try this:  Rock back and forth, as though having a mild to severe seizure, and laugh (or scream, your pick), uncontrollably. Trust me, this will get the message across. The downside is that you may seem certifiably insane, and drive everyone from the room, including the chronic interrupter.  It's quite possible no one will ever talk to you, or interrupt you, again in a social setting, and would that be so terrible?
You're Welcome,
The SJG

No comments:

Post a Comment