Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sid-ela

So strange to learn of Sid Caesar's death and not be able to call up my dad and talk about it and get a few anecdotes.  Sid starred in two of my dad's movies, "The Busy Body" and "The Spirit is Willing."
Sid was part of the group my dad broke rye bread with for many years, first at the Friar's Club, and then at Factor's Deli, all captured in Donna Kanter's wonderful documentary, "Lunch."
Bottom row:  Hal Kanter, Arthur Hiller, Rocky Kalish, Sid Caesar
Top row:  Ben Starr, Monty Hall, John Rappaport
So, what would my dad have said about his good friend, the man he kissed every time they met, and called "Sid-ela"?  Well, he would've been heartbroken, that much I know.  He would've said, "Sid was a genius. The funniest guy on TV ever."  Here's hoping Sid and my dad, Hal Kanter and Groucho's son Arthur Marx finagle a nice booth at the big deli in the sky, where they can gather every other Wednesday, rewrite each other's jokes, interrupt each other, speak a little Yiddish, and laugh their tushes off.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if your Dad had ever written for Sid Caesar. Good to know he did. I was a big fan of Sid's. He was one of my three comedy heroes, with Jack Benny and Harold Lloyd. Was lucky enough to meet him and Imogene, briefly, after a show at the Geffen Playhouse. Got their autographs on a 1959 Hanes underwear ad that featured them. One of my most prized possessions. I do so wish we could have had your Dad's thoughts. But, at least Sid has gone to keep your Dad company. Now that's a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cheryl, how cool that you got to meet them. What a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete