Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Most Kosher Super Bowl Ever

What a wonderful idea!
And then there's this from Anna Goldenberg of The Jewish Daily Forward:  "If you have tickets for the Super Bowl at the MetLife Stadium today and you’re planning to munch on some kosher snacks while watching the battle between the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos, you’d better bring some extra cash: This stuff’s not cheap. As the Forward reported, this year’s event is likely to be the most kosher Super Bowl ever.  A significant number of the ticket holders for the 82,000 seats are expected to be Jewish; the stadium features a praying area — and a solid selection of kosher food. But it comes at a hefty price: The kosher caterers charge $13 for a turkey or chicken wrap, $13 for chicken wings and $11 for a hot dog with chips (Hebrew National, of course). And don’t forget to tip! If you want to save money, we recommend a knish: The dough snacks go for $6 per piece. After shelling out $1,000 (at the very least) for a ticket, $13 for a wrap might actually seem a bargain. If not, you could always bring your own food." 

Well, there's no part of the SJG that wishes I were at the Super Bowl at the MetLife Stadium, searching for affordable knishes. There's no part of the SJG that wishes I were even watching the Super Bowl in Sherman Oaks. What's wrong with me?  Why can't I embrace this popular sporting event?  Probably because I can't embrace any sporting event, unless my sons are playing, and neither has been on a real team since high school.  Not to mention, what Jewish mother in something resembling her right mind encourages her boy to play football?  That said, I'm in generous mood.  Today I'm going to encourage my sons to watch and scream and throw things at the flat screen along with their father.  I'll be skipping out after the coin toss, dancing defensively, flashing the jazz hands, returning in time for a super bowl of hubby's chili.  See what I did there?  

No comments:

Post a Comment