Tuesday, September 8, 2015

This Is How I Kugel

In case you haven't noticed, because let's face it, your attention span isn't what it used to be, lately, I've been dropping plenty kugel references. Why is that? Why do you think? It's time for our annual kugel tutorial, in time for Rosh Hashanah. 

When you Kugel, you bring happiness to those around you. To Kugel is to make people smile, clap their hands and do a little hora around the dining room. To Kugel is so easy, just about anybody can do it and not mess up. I’d go so far as to say that Kugeling is practically fool-proof. I say practically because to Kugel well requires a dash of common sense. For generations, many have fought a precarious battle: how to Kugel with discretion. It can be done, I assure you, and the SJG is here to guide you. To Kugel wisely, you must fight the urge to open your cabinets, collect everything at eye level and dump it all into the pan. To Kugel is to show some restraint.
As the Jewish New Year kicks off at the end of the week, you may be inclined to add fruit to the mix. Cherries. Raisins. Pineapple. Fine. Just don’t go overboard, my friends. Pick one fruit. ONE. You’ll thank me later.
You may be tempted to use sour cream. What kind? Original? Light? Fat Free? Vegan? Be smart. Don’t block anyone’s arteries in the process. You don’t need Uncle Seymour’s future by-pass clogging up your conscience, now do you?
Step back from the fridge and ask yourself the following: How much does my Kugel really need? What is my High Holiday goal? To bake a Kugel heavier than a truckload of bricks? Or to cook up a slice of heaven, light enough to enjoy seconds, if not thirds? Will I Kugel like a mensch? Will I repent my Kugeling ways come Yom Kippur? The choice, of course, is yours. To Kugel is to exercise free will. Everyone Kugels differently. It’s what makes the world go round.

The SJG’s Kugel:
1 pound wide noodles (cooked)
7 eggs
½ cup sugar
1 pint low fat cottage cheese
3 cups reduced fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter (melted)
1 cup raisins
1 cup Corn flake crumbs
Mix together all ingredients except corn flakes. Place mixture into greased casserole. Refrigerate overnight. Next day, sprinkle with corn flake crumbs. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I had to look in a dictionary to check what kugel is, what it's for and whether it needs batteries. It actually sounds very nice. I think I could manage thirds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kugel is battery-free and good for the environment. Drop by on Sunday. I'll save you a third.

    ReplyDelete